The initial idea of the International Club was conceived at the 1923 Wimbledon Championships, when a former British Prime Minister, Arthur Balfour, was chatting with Wallis Myers, an outstanding writer, on lawn tennis. Uppermost in Balfour’s mind was the prospect of promoting international goodwill by friendship across the net. Myers in his vigour at 45, was not one to let such an opportunity pass, and on the 26th November, 1924, the IC of Great Britain was formed In the following year, steel gray and pink were selected as the Club’s colours. The IC was to foster friendship pure and uncommercialised.
In 1929, Jean Borotra was approached by Willis Myers and Lord Lyle to form a Club in France in what the former described as an “extension of the British franchise”. Jean was the first Chairman of the French Club and has participated actively since 1929. He regards tennis as a life time game and has proved to the young that it is possible to continue to play throughout a life working outside lawn tennis. Much of this has been achieved by him within the activities of the French International Club.Other great nations followed suit, the USA and Netherlands in 1931, Czechoslovakia (now disbanded) in 1933, and Sweden in 1937. Each Club organizes its own annual programme to achieve the objects as set forth in the constitution. Matches are played between International Clubs which have, over the years, enabled ex-international players to maintain their friendship made through tennis. Many Clubs assist the young tennis players of their own country by taking them on matches abroad, or holding competitions for promising young players. Many regard the ICs as an opportunity to retain their links with the game and an opportunity to put something back into the game after an active playing life has come to an end.